Saturday, November 22, 2008

NaBloPoMo Day 22: Jackass

So far today I've been accused by my usually wonderful husband of acting like "a psycho" and "a pregnant person." Neither of which I am, to the best of my knowledge. So there, A-hole.

I don't feel like writing a blog t0day. I don't feel like getting off my ass today either. I'm tired and queasy and short-tempered, so maybe he's right and I am acting like a pregnant person. I'm still not though. I'm just lazy and ate too much bacon for breakfast.

Here's a recipe, which is of course my fallback when I'm feeling uninspired. Back in the 1970's, rumaki was really big, along with disco, open marriages, and shag carpeting. This, however, is not a bad idea, this is a good idea. Rumaki are chicken livers wrapped in bacon and baked. I have no urge to eat chicken livers, though, so when I make this, I make it with strips of chicken breast. Along toward the end, I brush the whole sizzling thing in a mixture of soy sauce, chicken broth, and brown sugar. It makes for a nice, yummy glaze. I also like to substitute sliced water chestnuts for the chicken once in a while.

Ooh, another good glaze is dijon mustard, honey, brown sugar, and a couple shakes of tabasco sauce.

Chicken Rumaki

Makes enough for a big baby or wedding shower or a medium-sized party.

4 large skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch wide strips, strips cut into 2-inch pieces
1 1/2 pounds bacon, cut crosswise into thirds.
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375.

Wrap each piece of chicken in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Lay on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving 1/2 an inch between each piece. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is done and bacon is crispy, turning the rumaki occasionally.

Mix together the chicken broth and soy sauce. Stir in the brown sugar until it dissolves. Using a pastry brush, brush the mixture over the rumaki 5-7 minutes before they're done, then again a minute or two before if you like. Serve hot or warm.

2 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

You do sound pregnant... or psycho.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.