Thursday, November 13, 2008

NaBloPoMo Day 13: What Does The Rest Of The Recipe Look Like?

Tonight on the way to my knitting group, I was listening to our local talk radio station, and there was a commercial on. I thought it was for one of those fake "Italian" restaurants, like Olive Garden or something, because they were describing the simmering of the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and celery, the perfectly-prepared pasta, the fresh loaves of bread straight from the oven.

There could be something to this, I was thinking. This is actually making me hungry.

The commercial continued (and I'm paraphrasing here): this family-style Italian home-made goodness is brought to you by fertilizer.

"..." I thought.

The commercial went on to talk about how everything we eat is all thanks to fertilizer, and how great fertilizer is, and let's all go to Lowe's right now and buy some fertilizer, and eat it straight from the bag with a spoon.

But the crowning glory was the closing line, which had so much resonance that I actually sent it to myself in a text message so that I could come home and write this.

Fertilizer: It's life's main ingredient.

I've often thought so myself, but I don't tend to espouse a view like that in a forum as popular as local radio.

It could be worse, I suppose. Just tack it into some other popular advertising slogans and see what you get:

Fertilizer: It's what's for dinner.

What happens in fertilizer stays in fertilizer.

Fertilizer: It's finger-lickin' good.

Fertilizer: It keeps going, and going, and going...

Fertilizer: Because I'm worth it.

It could most definitely be worse.

No comments: