Monday, November 17, 2008

NaBloPoMo Day 17: C.J. and Two Big Birds

Once again, The West Wing. As I'm sure you're aware, there's a tradition of pardoning a turkey in the White House--this extends both to the real White House, and this much better, fictional one.

C.J. Cregg is one of my favorite TV characters ever, both because she's smart and funny, but because she's elegant and human and so, so, so wonderful at what she does. If you don't believe me, watch her convince the President to pardon Troy, a turkey who is about to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.



One of the ongoing jokes in The West Wing is C.J.'s height. Her Secret Service code name is "Flamingo" which she is most certainly not amused by. I am 5'11" and have endured more jokes about my height in my life than I care to recall, and I'm quice sure that C.J. has too. Watch this scene, and tell me that the non-verbal exchange between Big Bird - which, believe it or not, was my nickname in high school - and C.J. and tell me that The West Wing isn't the greatest thing ever.



At the end of the clip, there's a short exchange between C.J. and deputy press secretary Annabeth Schott, played by Kristin Chenowith, who is diminutive by any standards. Next to C.J. she looks like a member of The Lollypop Guild.

No comments: