Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 12: The Movies

The last movie I saw in a theater was that last Indiana Jones thing last summer. I rarely go to the movies anymore. For one thing, I have a kid. We have great friends who would be happy to babysit for us, but we've rarely taken them up on the offer. I would be happy to go more than we do, but we don't, and it's because Dan is not a movie person. I like things like movies and TV and music--Dan is totally indifferent to them. I own what I think of as an average number of CD's--maybe 200. Dan owns three, and none of them are anything worth listening to. When I met him, DVD's were only beginning to be popular, and he didn't own a DVD player yet, and he didn't own a VHS tape that was less than 15 years old. He and I maybe have seen a grand total of 10 movies together in the theater in nearly seven years of dating and marriage.

I think maybe the reason we're like this is best described by the contrast between Dan and the boyfriend I had before him. He and I lived together for almost three years but I pretty well loathed him almost the entire time. We had nothing in common and not much to say to each other, but we went to a lot of movies because it was something we could do together that didn't emphasize our inability to communicate or even feign interest in each other. Dan and I do not have that particular problem. Before we were married, we used to make plans to go see a movie, start talking on the couch, and before we realized it, it was 1 in the morning and we didn't have any hope of making it to a movie on time.

It is one of the things I like the most about Dan.

No comments: