Thursday, October 4, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Songs I Can't Get Out Of My Head

I realized that I've been listening to the same playlist on my IPod for about three weeks. Interestingly, all of these are women, which is not to say that all I listen to are women. Although I guess in this case, they are all women. In honor of that, here's my Thursday Thirteen.

1. "Strange Thing" by Sophie B. Hawkins. There's something haunting about her voice, which can be either hauntingly sweet or brutal. I think she's a perfectly lovely and often overlooked artist.

2. "Get Out The Map" by The Indigo Girls. I am almost always listening to at least one song by the Indigo Girls. My friend Ryan was in town this last weekend--I think I may have mentioned that--and this song always makes me think of him.

3. "Get Ur Freak On" by Missy Elliot. I walk to my office from the Metro with this song playing. It's bouncy.

4. "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" by Kylie Minogue. Ibid from number 3. It's good walking-fast music.

5. "True Believer" by Mary Beth Maziarz. Two friends of mine got engaged last weekend, and so I've been thinking about weddings, and marriage, and that actually probably explains the sappy, soppy nature of my last few posts.

6. "Fidelity" by Regina Spektor. I'm liking her more than I did when I bought the CD, which took me a little time to warm up to.

7. "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield. A good way to start a day as a writer / editor.

8. "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse. I listen to the remix with Ghostface Killa in the bridge. I don't know whether to cry in my sambuca or shoot whitey.

9. "Uncle John's Band" by the Indigo Girls, again. This is an old Grateful Dead song that never fails to remind me of good weather, beers, and seeing a concert in a condition that will almost certainly lead to mindless consumption of a large quantity of guacamole at some point.

10. "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell. It reminds me of that otherwise completely lame movie "You've Got Mail," where Tom Hanks asks Meg Ryan, "'It's clouds' illusions I recall, I really don't know clouds at all.' What does that mean? Is she taking flying lessons?"

11. "Army of Me" by Bjork. I love Bjork. She's such a weirdo.

12. "Roads" by Portishead. This whole album was great, but for some reason, I only have this song on my Ipod.

13. "Sleep to Dream" by Fiona Apple. Same thing as Portishead--great album, most of it mysteriously absent.

Hey, Washington D.C.! I'm gonna be on the news! Talking about foreclosure like I just walked in here off the street, when really I talk about foreclosure for a living! I think I used the word disadventagious twice in my interview, whereas I only referred to subprime lenders as "jackals" once. BOY am I awesome at my job!!

No comments: