Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Newly Obsessed

My new fascination is shibori, an ancient Japanese fiber technique. Have I told you how much I love Ravelry, by the way? It is a web application for yarn artists (that's what fancy-pants knitters call themselves) that functions sorta like Myspace, only without all the pictures of 17-year-old girls in their bras. Oh my God, the Google searches that last sentence will almost certainly generate. I apologize in advance.

I saw a few felted shibori scarves in Ravelry and I love them. They are so neat looking, not drapey like an unfelted scarf in wool or alpaca would be, but with real visual interest due to the 3-D nature of the construction.

So as soon as I am done knitting for Kimberly's coming attraction, I am going to try shibori. And with no further ado, here is my homemade, badly-illustrated guide to shibori felt.

Before you make fun of my illustrations, I think that we should all take a minute to think about the fact that uploading pictures to blogger is really just about at the outer range of my technical know-how, so I'm sorry about the teensy type in the pictures, but I hope you can squint sufficiently to get the idea of what it is that I'm talking about when I say that this is the coolest thing ever.

No comments: